Kupang is the provincial capital of East Nusa Tenggara in Western Timor. It is the center of government, business, trade, and education, and is now being developed to be the gate-way to Nusa Tenggara. While Teaching English in Kupang, you can enjoy life in a city that offers sufficient facilities for a comfortable lifestyle: modern malls and supermarkets, restaurants and cafés, hospitals, hotels with panoramic swimming pools, and other entertainment centers.
West Timor is rich in a variety of cultures, beautiful scenery, and breathtaking nature. Kupang, in particular, has stunning beaches that offer white sands and calm waves. Guarded by lush rows of coconut trees, they are the perfect place to relax. The island’s rich underwater biodiversity offers a uniquely fantastic experience for divers and snorkelers. Kupang is the first port of call for yachts in the annual Sail Indonesia rally which starts in Darwin, Australia every year.
- Population: 600,000
- Public Transportation: El Tari Airport services flights to several domestic destinations, Taxi, “bemo” (mini bus), “ojek” (motorcycle taxi)
- Language: Bahasa Indonesia, and local languages: Timor, Alor, Rote, Sabu, and Flores
- Climate: Average 27°C, tropical wet and dry climate
- EF Kupang Flagship School opened 2017
What Makes Kupang Unique?
• Beaches – Stunning beaches that still maintain their natural beauty. The topography combines a fine conjunction of hilly areas and coastlines which makes the surrounding scenery a unique one to enjoy.
• Natural beauty – Waterfalls, mountains, caves, and abundant undersea biodiversity
• Remote yet comfortable – Despite being located far from major metropolitan areas, residents in Kupang enjoy a safe and friendly society. Modern facilities are readily available on this tropical island. Its remote, yet not too far flung to enjoy international chains.
• Travel – Kupang is well known as a gateway to other “paradises” in East Nusa Tenggara. Labuan Bajo, home to the world famous Komodo Island and a renowned diving destination, is a short flight away.