Teaching English in Bekasi gives you the opportunity to live and work in one of Indonesia’s oldest and most established cities.
Located in West Java bordering eastern Jakarta, this satellite city is categorised by its thriving commerce and is home to a large number of multinational companies. These multinationals entice a multitude of expatriate workers to settle within its environs. The demographic diversity allows for an abundance of culinary offerings and exchanges which cater to the city’s international community. While teaching in Bekasi, you can be sure to indulge in eastern delights and even western cuisine from time to time.
While Bekasi is known for its prowess as an industrial city, its residents have access to all manner of modern conveniences such as shopping malls, schools, parks, clubhouses, a water park, and an efficient transportation network with a shuttle bus service to central Jakarta. When you’re not enjoying your new TEFL job, you can enjoy a multitude of entertainment options, or even take short trips to neighbouring cities to relax.
- Population: 2.6 million
- Transportation: Large train network, taxis and plenty of very cheap public buses (angkot), becaks (pedicabs),ojeks (motorbikes)
- Language: Bahasa Indonesia, Sundanese, English
- Climate: Tropical Rainforest Climate. The average temperature is 27°C.
- EF Bekasi flagship school opened in 2000
What Makes Bekasi Unique
- Shopping Malls– Even the most ardent shopaholic will find their needs met in Bekasi. Much like nearby Jakarta, malls serve as the primary focus of entertainment in the city. These air-conditioned monuments to consumerism offer not only a respite from the heat and humidity but also an opportunity to experience the city’s most cosmopolitan attractions. The largest, Summarecon Mal Bekasi houses numerous local and international brands and is well equipped to compete with even the grandest of the capitol’s shopping meccas.
- Day Trips– Bekasi’s location on the Western outskirts of Jakarta offers ample opportunities to explore the surrounding region of West Java. To the West, Bandung is renowned for its lush greenery and is within driving distance. To the South, Bogor is well known for its cooler temperatures and relaxed atmosphere. A short drive to the North, visitors can partake in water sports and dine by the coast in Ancol. Nearby Jakarta has some of the best nightlife Indonesia has to offer.