Are you currently in China? EF is hiring right now! Click here to learn more.

Teacher Qualifications in China

To be eligible to teach English in China, you will need to have a bachelor’s degree in any subject, and a 120-hour TEFL certification. Other teaching qualifications are valued, but you may still be required to complete a 120-hour TEFL course. Sponsorship is available on a range of qualifications at EF English First. Including full TEFL sponsorship for successful applicants.

TEFL Teaching Qualifications

TEFL Teaching Qualifications

Before you come to China, you must become certified in Teaching English as a Foreign Language. This process is much easier than it sounds. There are hundreds of TEFL providers available on the internet, and you can even get a fully sponsored certification from EF English First.
The TEFL certification needs to be at least 120-hours. This qualification will offer a comprehensive introduction to the methodologies and practices of teaching English to speakers of other languages. By the end of the course, you will be able to give instructions effectively, motivate the learner, and manage the classroom. TEFL certificates are not only important in China, but they are recognised worldwide. Once you become certified, you can teach anywhere in the world.

Cert TESOL English Language Teaching Qualification


Once you have completed your 120-hour TEFL qualification, you should have a strong foundation and understanding of the fundamentals of English language teaching. If you’re thinking about pursuing a career in teaching, then you may want to pursue the more advanced teaching courses.
The CELTA qualification would be a logical next step. CELTA stands for Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults. This qualification is respected the world over and provides more practical classroom elements, as well as more in-depth study. The DELTA or Diploma in English Language Teaching is similar to the CELTA qualification, as it is a more advanced than a TEFL and will provide you with a strong knowledge base and foundation for work and further study. Both courses can be studied while teaching English at EF English First.

Advanced Teacher Qualifications

Professional Teaching Qualifications

Teaching English as a second language in China doesn’t have to be temporary. Many EF English First teachers do enjoy lasting and rewarding careers due to professional development opportunities.
If you are thinking about pursuing a lasting career in TEFL, then you may consider enrolling on the DIP-TESOL course (Diploma in Teaching English as a second language), or the Trinity DELTM course (Diploma in English Teaching Management). Both of these courses do incur a cost, but they can help you advance into more senior teaching positions or even management.

Qualification Requirements for Teaching English

Qualification requirements for Teaching English in China

In order to work at one of EF English First’s schools in China, you will need to have the following:

  • A Bachelor’s Degree
  • A TEFL Certification (Full TEFL sponsorship available for successful applicants)
  • Passport holder from UK, USA, Canada, Ireland, Australia, South Africa or New Zealand
  • The ability to obtain a clear background check
The world is waiting for you

Teach English, travel and work abroad with EF English First