As the largest coastal city in northern China, Tianjin has been nicknamed “Shanghai of the North” in reference to its foreign concession areas, port and European architecture. Despite being the fourth largest city in China, Tianjin is best described as “the biggest small town in China.” It is incredibly safe here and the local people are proud of their city and have a strong sense of community.
Tianjin has two prominent city centers. Its main urban area is located along the Hai River and its new and growing urban area, located on the coast of Bohai Sea, is a hub of advanced industry and financial activity.
Since the mid-19th century, Tianjin has been a major seaport and gateway to the nation’s capital. Now the two cities are linked by the fastest train on the planet. Known as the “bullet” this railway masterpiece takes a mere 26 minutes to get to Beijing. Tianjin is a modern, developed city, but fortunately, this city has retained an authentic Chinese way of life. Tianjin has a reputation throughout China for being extremely friendly, very safe, and providing delicious food. It is also inexpensive.
- Population: 14 million
- Public Transportation: 4 major train stations, 1 international airport, 6 subway lines, hundreds of bus routes & taxis
- Language: Mandarin, local dialects
- Climate: Temperate Climate Zone, with four distinct seasons
- EF Tianjin Flagship opened in 2001
- Teach English in one of our 7 schools
What Makes Tianjin Unique?
- Being the ancient port city of Beijing, Tianjin has a rich history. Cultures collide in the streets of Tianjin, from European mansions to classic Chinese architecture, both residing happily in this city with a colored history
- Tianjin has a rich cuisine culture. There are too many good Chinese restaurants in Tianjin to mention here, but you can be sure to find any style of Chinese cooking with a menu to suit your budget
- Tianjin is inexpensive. The cost of living here is cheap. You can buy a local meal for as little as 10rmb and a ride on a bus or the subway costs 2rmb. Taxis start at 9RMB. Our teachers live comfortably here and often have a better quality of life then in their home country.