Teaching English in Tangerang
The largest city in the province of Banten, Indonesia, Tangerang is located about 25 km West of Jakarta. It is the sixth largest city in the nation.
Tangerang has long attracted significant investment from major corporations and developers in nearby Jakarta. The area has become known for large scale development projects such as BSD City, Gading Serpong, Alam Sutera, and Lippo Village. Tangerang is an industrial and manufacturing hub, with over 1,000 factories within its environs. Several international corporations have plants and offices located in the city.
The city is home to Soekarno–Hatta International Airport which serves as the primary airport hub for metropolitan Jakarta and as the main gateway to Indonesia. Tangerang is also home to the Indonesia Convention Exhibition, the largest center of its kind in Indonesia.
Tangerang also has a significant population of Chinese Indonesians. This can be seen in the architecture as well as culinary offerings.
- Population: 2,000,000
- Public Transportation: Soekarno-Hatta International Airport services numerous international and domestic destinations. Residents use taxis, motorcycle taxis (ojek), buses, and mini buses (angkot) to get around town. Taking the train is popular for intercity travel.
- Language: Bahasa Indonesia
- Climate: Tropical Rainforest Climate, Average temperature of 28° C
- Number of Schools: 2
- First EF school in Tangerang founded in 2001
What Makes Tangerang Unique
- Soekarno-Hatta International Airport – The gateway to Indonesia, this world class airport handles the vast majority of international travel in the country. It is also a regional hub for air travel, servicing domestic destinations throughout the country as well as international destinations around the world. A high-speed rail network facilitating direct travel to Jakarta is slated to be operational in early 2018.
- Shopping – Tangerang is home to several high profile malls that cater to this satellite city’s nouveau riche. It is also home to the nation’s first IKEA store.
- Museum Benteng Heritage – Visitors to Museum Benteng Heritage can explore the history of Tangerang’s unique Chinese Indonesian community, which can trace its roots back to Manchuria and Eastern Siberia.
- Citra Raya World of Wonders – As its name suggests, this amusement park is unique in that it houses each of the 7 world wonders in miniature. As the only attraction of its kind in Indonesia, the world of wonders is well worth a visit.