Jiaxing is a beautiful river town with a rich history and amazing culture. Jiaxing has beautiful canals that crisscross the entire city in a concentric pattern.
Situated in Zhejiang Province, central part of the Yangtze Delta, Jiaxing is in an excellent location. Located on the route between Suzhou and Hangzhou, it is no more than one hundred kilometres (a twenty-minute train ride) from Shanghai, Suzhou and Hangzhou.
Jiaxing has been the land of fish and rice for more than 7,000 years. It made a great progress in the economy during the Sui Dynasty (581-618) due to the construction of the Jiang Nan He, Hangzhou to Zhenjiang section of the Grand Canal. The canal helped the region become a bread basket in eastern China, and a place wealthy in cotton fabric and silk.
- Population: 3 million
- Public Transportation: 2 major train stations, hundreds of bus routes & taxis
- Language: Mandarin, local dialect
- Climate: Subtropical, with four distinct seasons
- EF Jiaxing opened in 2005
What Makes Jiaxing Unique?
- The birthplace of the communist party – Jiaxing is rich in culture and history
- South Lake is a beautiful place to relax on your days off from teaching English
- Jiaxing South Yangtze River Culture Festival (in South Lake during October to November)
- China International Qiantang Tidal Bore Festival is close by (in Haining City in the sixth day of the eighth lunar month)
- On the doorstep of Shanghai and Hangzhou – but without the expense of either