Guiyang is a mixture of Chinese culture with South-east Asian flavours. It is a beautiful city in the heart of Guizhou province in south-west China. From the jungle-like landscape of forested mountains to the warmth of the local people, it is no doubt a great place for expats to live.
There are many sites to see in Guiyang. Whether it’s taking a walk through Hebin Park or exploring the caves of Tianhetan, there is no shortage of opportunities to experience the city’s great culture.
Living in Guiyang is easy for expats. The cost of living is low, allowing teachers to save money for travelling or splurging in the markets. Apartments, grocery shopping and eating out are catered to western lifestyles but Chinese prices.
For nights out, there are several expat bars where international teachers hang out after work. Local bars also exist and allow expats to meet new friends and practice their Mandarin skills. No matter where you are, the people in Guiyang are incredibly friendly and open.
- Population: 5 million
- Public Transportation: 1 international airport, 1 major train station, hundreds of bus routes & taxis
- Language: Mandarin, local dialects
- Climate: Subtropical, with four seasons – hot summers and mild winters
- EF Guiyang Flagship opened in 2004
What Makes Guiyang Unique?
- The city is home to a number of ethnic minority groups, making the local culture incredibly diverse and community-oriented. There are also a number of ethnic villages nearby that are wonderful to visit
- Being so close to the border with Vietnam and Thailand, it’s very easy to take a weekend holiday there on breaks from teaching English
- Life here is very laid back. People tend to go to bed late and get up late. It’s also very common to see people strolling about, drinking tea and enjoying a leisurely lifestyle
- Guiyang is close to many natural sites that make great day trips. Huangguoshu Waterfalls, Zhijin Cave, Red Maple Lake and the Wuyang River are all nationally-recognized scenic areas
- Guiyang is called the “Spring City” because of its beautiful weather year-round