Cixi is a small developing city on the coast of Zhejiang province. The city still maintains local character with small restaurants, local shops and street food. Over the past 2 years, Cixi has developed a great deal in terms of western-style restaurants, bars and supermarkets. Now it is very easy to source some home comforts such as cheese, pastries and a good steak! Many foreigners are drawn to the city center which is full of shops and life during both day and night.
Cixi is rich in culture and has a long history which stretches back as far as 5000 BC! Witness this history for yourself at nearby Hemudu, one of the oldest sites of human civilization in the world.
Heading further out into the countryside, Cixi is surrounded by small mountains and some lakes. During days off it is a great place to take a boat out across the lake and take a walk through the mountains. During the spring, picking strawberries and waxberries is very common among the locals so as teachers we will always receive baskets of fruit on our desks!
- Population: 2 million
- Public Transportation: Extensive bus system, two long-distance bus stations, one intercity train station, taxis
- Language: Mandarin and local Cixi dialect
- Climate: Subtropical, with four distinct seasons
- EF Cixi opened in 2009
What Makes Cixi Unique?
- Bullet train to the major nearby cities, Ningbo, Hangzhou, and Shanghai on your days off from teaching English.
- Home of the waxberry: A nice day out picking this delicious fruit in the countryside.
- A great mix of modern commodities and “classic” Chinese character!
- Bustling downtown city centre coupled with scenic parks provides a great time away for any mood.
- Immerse yourself in Chinese language, customs and history while teaching energetic students!