Teaching English To Adults
As you walk through an adult education center, the first thing you will notice is that the environment is calm yet welcoming. Your students are there to study and practice their English. They are there because they want to secure a promotion, travel abroad, or get into a good college. This internal motivation makes them a joy to teach. Yet, despite the calmness outside of the classroom, they still like to have fun and make a little bit of noise.
As an adult’s English teacher, you will get the opportunity to help your students change their lives. You can help them grow personally as well as professionally. In time, you may even build lasting friendships with your students. This will give you the opportunity to get an insight into Indonesian life and culture, and even share your culture with them.
Not sure if teaching English to adults is right for you? Learn about teaching kids in Indonesia.
Your Salary & Benefits Package
- Competitive local salary
- Approved flight ticket reimbursed
- Housing provided in many locations
- Sponsored legal KITAS work visa
- Health insurance
- Minimum 10 paid annual leave days plus 18 national holidays
- Airport pick-up upon arrival
Teach Adults in Indonesia: Responsibilities
- Plan and deliver lessons to a small group of students, or in a group workshop
- Use electronic media and EF’s award-winning ESL courseware to teach English efficiently and effectively
- Evaluate student progress and providing ongoing guidance for improvement
- Provide a fun and friendly English language environment
- Attend CPD (Continual Professional Development) sessions to improve your teaching skills
- A Bachelor’s Degree
- A TEFL Certification (EF TEFL sponsorship available)
- Must be able to obtain a clear background check
- The ability to live abroad for at least one year
In addition, candidates must be citizens from one of the following nations in order to be issued a visa from the Indonesian government: USA, UK, Ireland, Canada, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand.
After 18 months, I’ve taught college students to retirees and have traveled out of Surabaya to small businesses in neighboring towns to teach groups of absolute beginners in their workplaces. I’ve planned complete conversation courses from scratch and seen a marked improvement in all of my students lesson by lesson. My resume looks a lot better than it did a year ago!