TEFL Certificate & TEFL Course
TEFL certificate related acronyms
Here are various acronyms in use for English language teaching qualifications:
- TEFL - Teaching English as a Foreign Language
- TESOL - Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- TESL - Teaching English as a Second Language
Less common, but coming more into use:
- TEAL - Teaching English as an Additional Language
- TELF - Teaching English as a Lingua Franca
What differentiate the TEFL courses are the assumptions about the target learners, their reasons for learning and their previous language experience.
Industry standard TEFL certificate
There are a lot of good TEFL courses available, but different TEFL certificate courses have different reputations. Industry standard TEFL courses generally meet the following criteria.
- At least 100 hours of methodology input
- At least six hours of observed teaching practice (training real learners)
Examples of internationally recognized TEFL certificate program are Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) and Trinity Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (Trinity cert. TESOL).
TEFL certificates we accept
At EF, we accept a variety of face-to-face TEFL certificates and on-line TEFL certifications depending on where you will be positioned. Once you arrive at EF, we have comprehensive training programs to prepare you specifically to be a teacher of EF students. No matter where you teach with EF, we will be there to support you in your development.