It is the little things in life that makes life pleasurable. Living in a new country can be daunting especially when you can’t speak the local language. Here are two hacks to make your life easier living in China.
FINDING YOUR DEBIT CARD BALANCE WITH ICBC
An easy way to find out your debit card account balance, other than going to the bank, is by phone. Here are 6 easy steps to follow:
- Dial the main hotline (in Shenzhen it is 95588).
- Wait 10 seconds until they say the options.
- Press 0, it will change the language to English.
- Press 1 for inquiry.
- Press 1 for the account balance.
- Input your bank card number followed by the pound sign (#) and your password followed by the pound sign and VIOLA, your bank balance will be displayed.
FINDING YOUR DATA AND TALK TIME BALANCE
If you haven’t heard already, the best app for China is WeChat. You can connect your bank card and your mobile to the app.
To check your mobile information, follow these simple steps:
- Click on your profile.
- Select your wallet.
- Click the mobile icon at the top.
- At the bottom left of this page, click on service centre.
- Input your number (if it isn’t on the screen) and click your number.
- The left box will tell you how much money you have on your phone to talk. The box on the right is how much data you have available.
PAY YOUR (OR YOUR FRIENDS) PHONE BILL
When life gets too hectic, sometimes you forget to pay your phone bill. (I just had that happen to me this month; I owed 0.40RMB and my phone service including data was suspended!) So how do you pay your phone bill without going down to the store and topping up? You can get your friend to lend you a hand via WeChat!
- Go to your wallet & click on it.
- Select “mobile top-up”.
- Click on the “contact” symbol.
- Select the person you want to help top up.
- Select the amount you’d like to charge your friend’s phone with.
- Pay with WeChat Wallet.
Share these hacks with your friends and make your life, and theirs, little better.
ARE YOU READY?
Teach English, travel and work abroad with EF English First
Post by Melody Lee, EF English First Shenzhen
A pirate (adventurer) at heart who has a knack for getting lost in the name of exploration while travelling across the globe stopping momentarily to soak in new cultures. Currently living in Shenzhen, China to teach English.