A smaller city than many in China, Qinhuangdao offers a relaxed environment with a perfect blend of history and modernity. It’s compact size makes it incredibly easy to travel around, with a 15 minute walking commute and major shopping districts less than half an hour away.
Qinhuangdao focuses on domestic tourism, and you’ll be treated to tree and flower-lined roads in the summer that lead to well-kept beaches and five-star hotels – the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Qinhuangdao is rapidly developing and mixes the convenience of western shopping malls, supermarkets, restaurants and movie theaters with quaint alleyways, traditional street-sellers and famous sights such as the end of the Great Wall.
- Population: 3 million
- Public Transportation: High-speed rail links to most major northern cities, international airport, buses and taxis.
- Language: Mandarin, local dialects
- Climate: Long warm summers and dry yet cold winters
- EF Qinhuangdao opened in 2002
What Makes Qinhuangdao Unique?
- Several large beaches – most only 15-30 minutes away from your apartment
- Qinhuangdao’s economy revolves heavily around domestic Chinese tourism, creating a resort city rather than an industrial one
- The end of the Great Wall is 30 minutes taxi ride away. One of mankind’s greatest architectural achievements right on your doorstep
- Very close to the major cities of Beijing, Tianjin and Shenyang with fast rail links – any can be easily visited during a weekend off from teaching English