Changchun is a green, rapidly expanding, friendly city in China’s northeast. The city is known as an auto powerhouse thanks to the presence of Volkswagen and Audi.
It’s not all industrial, though. Changchun’s different neighborhoods have a young and vibrant feel. On Guilin Road, there are numerous Western restaurants, cafes, and bars as well as quirky boutiques. To get around, teachers can choose to use public transportation or take a taxi, the rate of which starts at 6 RMB—less than $1!
Changchun features many charming parks, and teachers often organize trips to nearby Jilin City on the Songhua River or to the beautiful snow-capped Changbai Mountain. Come and enjoy the skiing or skating in winter!
Teachers love the northeast’s hearty cuisine. Food here is all about fresh vegetables, fish, and different kinds of meat. Portions are large and prices are low.
- Population: 7.6 million
- Public Transportation: 2 major train stations, 1 international airport, 2 light rail lines, hundreds of bus routes & taxis, and a subway system under construction
- Language: Mandarin, Dongbei dialect
- Climate: Humid continental, with four distinct seasons
- EF Changchun Flagship opened in 2001
- Teach English in Changchun at one of our 4 schools
What Makes Changchun Unique?
- Popular with teachers, South Lake Park is directly in the center of the city. Walk along trails, go boating, and swim in this beautiful retreat from busy urban life
- Changchun is an ideal place to learn Chinese thanks to the large number of people who speak standard Mandarin. The local dialect is considered the closest to standard Mandarin, which makes meeting locals even easier
- Jingyuetan, Asia’s largest manmade forest, is a great place to relax and enjoy stunning forest and lake views just outside the city by light rail
- Changchun was the capital of the Japanese puppet state of Manchukuo. You can tour the palace seen in the film The Last Emperor
- Travel to nearby major cities is convenient due to the city’s central location in the region. You are also a short flight away from Japan and Korea